|Christmas Tree Safety
· Consider using an artificial tree. They are typically safer and cleaner.
· When looking for a real tree, tap it on the ground first. Trees that are too dry will lose a lot of needles.
· Cut 1-inch off of the trunk to help with water absorption.
· Mix a commercial preservative with the water to help absorption.
· The tree stand should hold at least 1-gallon of water.
· Check the water level daily. A 6-foot tree will absorb one gallon of water every two days.
· Secure the tree so it does not tip.
· Keep the tree away from floor heaters, fireplaces, and other heat sources.
· If you are using an artificial tree, be sure it is UL (Underwriter Laboratories) approved.
· Use only UL approved lights and link no more than 3 strands together.
· Use indoor lights and extension cords indoors only, and use outdoor lights or extension cords for outdoors.
· Check light strands for broken or cracked sockets, loose connections, and frayed wires. Discard all damaged strands.
· Do not overload electrical outlets or extension cords.
· Keep outdoor connections above the ground and out of water puddles or snow. Wrap a plastic bag and Teflon tape around outdoor connections to prevent moisture buildup at the connection.
· Do not use electric lights on metallic trees. Use only colored spotlights.
· Never use candles on a tree, real or artificial.
· Turn off the any decorations when you go to sleep or if you leave your home for very long.
· Keep mistletoe or holly berries out of reach of children.
· Install smoke detectors if you don't have any. Replace the batteries in existing ones. Be sure to test your smoke detectors regularly. Click here for additional information on smoke detectors and placement.
· Consider installing a carbon monoxide detector.
· Have an operable fire extinguisher nearby and know how to use it.
· Keep candles in sturdy containers and away from combustibles.
· Extinguish candles before going to bed.
· Make sure the fireplace flu is open.
· Place hot ashes in a metal container until they are cold.
· Do not burn wrapping paper or decorations in the fireplace. Flash fires can result from the intense burning.
· After parties, check around and under the sofa and chair cushions for smoldering cigarettes. Provide a lot of ashtrays if people will be smoking at the party.
Some smart Safety Gifts:
· Smoke detectors.
· Carbon Monoxide detectors.
· Fire Extinguishers
· Escape ladders.
· First Aid Kits